Thursday 14 January 2010

Honeywell -The Phantom Racer Club Cassette No. 1


Honeywell, one of the pioneering Screamo bands if you will, active in the early 90's along with a shedload of other Hardcore, Screamo, Emo bands (Heroin, Mohinder, Portraits of Past) etc, all that goodness. Honeywell were one of my favorites as some of the songs had strong emo writing, "I'm not listening, I'm not listening anymore." springs to mind. A band that remained fairly underground. The self titled 12" '93 was a landmark album that is said to influence band like the amazing Orchid, Reversal of man and so, the chaotic uprise of emo/screamo.

Honeywell did some splits with Reach Out, and had some EP's which are fairly hard to come by. I've read (on last fm) that during a rehearsal someone shouted “Hey Josh, why not try screaming like a girl” I really can't believe this as so many bands in a similar vein were around early 90's screaming their hearts out too, but there you go, the origins of Screamo have always been contested, but fuck it I love Screamo.

This album, "The Phantom Racer Club Cassette" is one of their demos, I'm not sure of it's exact release but of course it would be pre '93. it's a fairly messy, raw album, my favorite kind, so enjoy.


Honeywell - The Phantom Racer Club Cassette

1 comment:

  1. I was told that the cassettes were released in the very late 80s. If not, 90-91-92

    ReplyDelete